Reaching a 50th wedding anniversary is quite an achievement in anyone’s book. No wonder the traditional and modern gift ideas revolve around the precious metal gold. Extremely durable, but nevertheless beautiful, it’s obvious why it was chosen as the symbol for 50 years of wedded bliss. Not that we’re looking at marriage with rose tinted spectacles of course. 50 years together and you’re bound to have gone through both good and bad times, and your relationship will have had many ups and down. But through it all you’ve triumphed over all the negatives, and still remain together as man and wife.
Traditionally a husband gifted his wife a wreath made of gold, upon reaching their 50th year together. A custom that dates back to medieval Germany, and even the time of the Holy Roman Empire. Possibly not the most perfect or unique wedding anniversary gifts to give to your wife, so let’s take a look at a few alternatives.
Alternative Golden Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas
Gifts of gold jewellery, plaques, picture frames and goblets are all pretty old hat. But what gift can you buy for your wife on your golden wedding anniversary that you haven’t already given before?
Unique Golden Wedding Anniversary Gifts
Romantic Matched Set set
- Includes a real glazed rose, trimmed with 24k gold
- Combined with pendant and earrings from natural rose petals
- Comes in a quality leather display case
Gold-Dipped RoseGold rose
- A natural rose dipped in 24 karat gold
- It is presented in a prestigious leather display case
- A certificate of authenticity is enclosed
- Free express delivery
Gold-Dipped Rose Pendantpendant
- Decorated with 21 sparkling synthetic diamonds
- Created using real miniature rose petals glazed and trimmed with 24 karat gold
- With a lifetime warranty
A Golden Anniversary Plant
Women often expect the gift of flowers for special occasions, and they’ll never be disappointed to receive a beautiful bouquet that says “I love you”. The gift of flowers can however, be much more than a gorgeous bouquet, or a single red rose. Why not give your wife a real live plant as a one-of-a-kind golden wedding anniversary gift?
Roses are often given to convey certain kinds of emotions, and there are plenty of varieties to choose from. The colour chosen could convey a different meaning, or you could choose a particular variety that has a very apt name. For example:
- Golden Celebration
- Golden Wedding
- Golden Memories
- Happy Anniversary
The list goes on and on.
There is however, a particular flower that is associated with a golden wedding anniversary and it’s the violet. Certainly not good for using in a bouquet, this flowering plant is perfect as a gift for the garden. It’ll continue to flower year after year, spreading its beauty throughout your garden.
Golden Wedding Anniversary Cushions
You can never have too many cushions right? Well we have to agree. Give your wife, husband or the happy couple the gift of a beautifully embroidered gold coloured cushion. Embroidered with some memorable dates such as the wedding date, date they met, memorable holiday or life event. Another interesting option is a personalised quilt. Lovingly handmade with added personal messages, as many as you like. So why not get messages from everyone who knows the happy couple, both family and friends.
The Gift of an Experience
Are you up for doing something a little bit different? Want to feel the thrill of trying something new? Or would you prefer to spend the day relaxing somewhere peaceful, followed by afternoon tea or dinner for two? Well nowadays you can purchase a whole plethora of interesting, unusual, tasty and downright inviting things to do as perfect golden wedding anniversary gifts. Here’s a few examples of the things you can enjoy:
- A day excursion for 2 on the Northern Belle – travel in ultimate style and luxury, while enjoying some stunning scenery. Brunch and dinner with champagne and wine will put the icing on the cake.
- A sightseeing cruise for 2 up the Thames – and take in the sights of this amazing capital city by visiting The View From the Shard.
- 2 nights for the price of one – many of the most luxurious hotels across the world regularly give anniversary couples the opportunity to enjoy 2 nights stay for the price of one. Keep your eye on magazines, newspapers and online for the latest offers.
- Supercar blast – drive one of the world’s best supercar around a track, but not without some expert tuition of course.
- Tasting menu at the restaurant of a top chef – enjoy Michelin star dining at a top restaurant, and experience taste combinations never experienced before. And don’t forget to round your meal off with a tasty cocktail.
- Hot air ballooning – get whisked away and drift silently across the skies, taking in the scenery as you go. Soar at heights of up to 3,000 feet and go wherever the wind takes you. Upon landing you’ll have to help the crew pack up, but your reward will be a glass of champagne, or soft drink if you’d prefer.
- Dining and theatre experience for two – time to take in a top London show, with a dining experience to add to the celebration. If there’s a long running show you’ve both been dying to see, now’s the perfect opportunity.
- 30 minute helicopter or aircraft flight for two – ever fancied giving flying a go? Well now you can. You’ll get expert tuition, before taking the controls yourself or a short trial flight.
A 50th Anniversary Requires Official Recognition
Did you know that you can request official recognition of a 50th wedding anniversary? Members of the Roman Catholic Church can request a Papal blessing for the couple about to celebrate a golden wedding anniversary. The Prime Minister of Australia will send a congratulatory letter to citizens celebrating their 50th anniversary. The Governor General of Canada can be requested to send out salutary congratulations, and in the US the President is more than happy to add his names to the list of gift givers, with a 50th anniversary greeting. In the UK, the Queen waits until a couple have reached their 60th anniversary before sending out any congratulatory messages, which we think is a bit of a shame.
So if you’re lucky enough to have reached your golden wedding anniversary, or know someone who has achieved this memorable goal, then pass on our congratulations and let’s hope we’ve helped to make their day special, with our ideas for unique golden wedding anniversary gifts.